To see where it all started you can download a free PDF. Get Dr. Simeons' Manuscript by clicking below.
Dr, Simeons' Manuscript PDF Download
Below you will find a short summary of the Pounds and Inches Away program from start to finish. It will provide you with a basic understanding of what the diet entails.
Phase 1 of the Pounds and Inches Away Program / P1
The Preparation Phase is a phase that was added to the original diet plan by some participants. It was not part of Dr. Simeons’ original plan. Through working with our customers, we have found this phase to be unnecessary and therefore completely optional.
Phase 2 of the Pounds and Inches Away Program / P2
The Gorge Days:
Days 1 and 2 phase 2 of the Pounds and Inches Away program are called the Gorge Days. These days consist of taking your supplement and eating high-fat food (without making yourself sick). Dr. Simeons referred to this as the “gain before loss,” explaining that you have to stock up your fat reserves before beginning the Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) part of Phase 2. Read the Sample Gorge Day Menu below to get ideas for gorging.
- Gorge Day Breakfast: Three Cream-filled Donuts with Whole Milk, Sausage, Bacon, and Full-Fat Greek Yogurt
- Gorge Day Snack 1: A Butterfinger Bar (or your favorite candy bar)
- Gorge Day Snack 2: Tortilla Chips and Guacamole
- Gorge Day Lunch: Pepperoni Pizza and Caesar Salad with lots of Cheese & Extra Dressing
- Gorge Day Snack 3: Mixed Nuts
- Gorge Day Snack 4: A Big Mac or a Whopper (or your favorite hamburger) with French Fries and a Milkshake
- Gorge Day Dinner: Fettuccini Alfredo (for the fatty sauce), Garlic Bread, and some rich New York Style Cheesecake
- Gorge Day Snack 5: Fried Mozzarella Sticks (or anything fried)
- Gorge Day Snack 6: Oreos dipped in Whole Milk
Your Gorge Days are also a good opportunity to eat anything that you think you might crave in the next month during the VLCD.
The Very Low Calorie Days(VLCD)
Phase 2 is also known as the VLCD Phase, the Very Low Calorie Diet Phase, and the 500 Calorie Diet Phase. This phase of the diet lasts from Day 3 to a minimum of Day 23 up to a maximum of Day 40. It’s up to you and how much time you have or weight to lose, to decide how long you want to stay on the VLCD. During this time you will follow the very specific food list.
It is important that you follow this and only this food list if you want the absolute best results on the Pounds and Inches Away Program.
Pounds and Inches Away Phase 2 (VLCD) Food List
During the VLCD Phase you are allowed black or green tea or coffee in any quantity. This must be drank without the use of sugar or creamer. Only one tablespoonful of milk allowed in 24 hours. Saccharin (brand name Sweet ‘n’ Low) or approved brands of stevia(like Wisdom) may be used.
Choose one item from each of the four categories below:
- Meat Options: 100 grams of veal, beef, chicken breast, fresh white fish, lobster, crab, or shrimp. All visible fat must be carefully removed before cooking, and the meat must be weighed raw. It must be boiled or grilled without additional fat. Salmon, eel, tuna*, herring, dried or pickled fish are not allowed. The chicken breast must be off the bone. *We have found through working with thousands of clients that canned tuna packed in water is okay for phase 2 of the diet.
- Vegetable Options: One type of vegetable only to be chosen from the following: spinach, chard, chicory, beet-greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions, red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, and cabbage.
- ‘Carb’ Options: One grissini breadstick (breadstick grissino), one Melba toast, or 2 Melba “snacks” (original, garlic, whole grain, or sea salt
- Fruit Options: An apple or a handful of strawberries or one-half grapefruit or 1 orange.
The same four choices as the lunch menu listed above.
Other Phase 2 (VLCD) Dietary Notes:
- The juice of one lemon daily is allowed (as a salad dressing, in tea, or in a lemonade drink) while on P2 / VLCD.
- For spices and flavorings, NATURAL salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard powder, garlic, sweet basil, parsley, thyme, marjoram, etc., may be used for seasoning, but no oil, butter or dressing.
- The fruit or the grissini breadstick (breadstick grissino) may be eaten between meals instead of with lunch or dinner, but they must come out of your meal serving.
- If you choose to use grissini / grissino breadsticks as your “carb” option, be careful of the kind you buy. They should be about the height and width of a pencil.
- Do NOT mix vegetables. Only one kind of vegetable is allowed per meal.
- Your vegetable and protein must be eaten together at meal times.
- The only drinks allowed on the Pounds and Inches Away program are tea, coffee, plain, mineral, or sparkling (not tonic) water. They may be drunk in any quantity and at all times on the diet. In fact, you should aim to drink 2 liters of water per VLCD day, in addition to any other liquid. This will help flush the fat from your system.
Additional Phase 2 (VLCD) Guidelines
- Be cautious of everything that touches your skin while on the VLCD as fats can be absorbed into your skin and interfere with weight loss. Think lotion, lip balm, hand soap, etc. There are very few brands that offer completely oil-free options. We suggest Tiffalina’s brand of oil-free/safe personal care products.
- Exercise is not required on the diet. In fact, it is discouraged unless you have been on an exercise routine for 6 weeks or longer before starting the Pounds and Inches Away plan. Just make sure to avoid any heavy weight lifting or strenuous activity. If you have not been exercising but would like to start, you can take daily walks.
- Tanning is discouraged during the VLCD as it can cause water retention and affect weight loss.
- Massage and other spa treatments are also discouraged during the VLCD because they can interfere with weight loss.
- In the first few days of the diet, you may experience slight headaches. This is normal and is caused from your body detoxing from all the caffeine, sugar, preservatives, etc. Aspirin or Ibuprofen are allowed as long as they are not gel caps or sugar-coated.
The Exit Days
Somewhere between 23 and 40 days on the Pounds and Inches Away program (whenever you decide to stop), you do the Exit Days. During the Exit Days, you stop taking your supplement, but continue the VLCD menu for three days. If you do NOT do these last three days as described, YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT.
Phase 3 of the Pounds and Inches Away Program/ P3
Now, you can start the Pounds and Inches Away Maintenance Phase (also known as Phase 3 or P3) which consists of two 3-week periods. The first three weeks, you can eat anything you like except absolutely nothing can contain sugars or starches (carbs). Then in the second 3-week period, you can slowly start to add healthy sugars and starches back into your diet.
During all of Maintenance and even after, you need to continue to weigh yourself every day. Any day you are 2.1 lbs or more over your last supplement date weight (the weight you were on the last day you took your supplement) you do a Steak Day. A Steak Day is a day when you eat nothing for breakfast or lunch, but drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Then, in the evening have 1 large steak (8-18 oz) followed by an apple OR a raw tomato. The next morning when you weigh in, you should be back within 2 lbs of your supplement date weight. Steak days will help you keep your new, lower weight locked in until you decide you want your weight to change.
Phase 4 of the Pound and Inches Away Program / P4
Life after the Pounds and Inches Away diet... This is when you move on with your new, healthy post-diet lifestyle in your smaller clothes. Now, you should be craving healthier foods and a diet full of healthy fats, lean proteins, and fresh veggies. To control weight for the rest of your life, just weigh yourself daily. If you are up more than 2.1 lbs over your last supplement date weight, you guessed it: do a steak day.