Posted by Leanne Mennemeier on January 20, 2017
3. Eat Whole Natural Foods – Processed foods don’t compare to whole natural foods, either taste or nutrition-wise. A friend of mine, who only drank processed orange juice before going on the HCG Diet, was raving about the wonderful flavor of a whole orange she’d eaten that day. The HCG Diet cleanses your pallet so whole foods taste better to you…keep it clean!
4. Add Fresh Lemon Juice to Water – Dr. Simeons allowed the juice of one lemon per day. Lemon juice aids in digestion, is a great source of potassium, boosts the immune system, helps to fight hunger cravings and more. However, since lemon juice is hard on tooth enamel, dilute it in lukewarm water and drink it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to reap all of the benefits.
5. Drink lots of water – Dr. Simeons was an advocate of drinking lots of water even way back in the 1960’s! He explained that the body ‘is more inclined to store water when the intake falls below its normal requirements’ and we all want to avoid water retention.
6. Cut Meat in Small Pieces and Chew, Chew, Chew – When on the protocol, many people want to make that 3 ounce piece of meat last, so they’ll cut it in very small pieces and chew each piece thoroughly, savoring every small bite. There is nothing wrong with this and no reason to go back to a 1 inch by 1 inch bite of meat once the VLCD is over. Taking smaller bites and chewing longer gives the brain a chance to realize you’ve had enough (which takes about 20 min.) and avoids overeating.
7. Skip Breakfast – Dr. Simeons’ breakfast menu is ‘tea or coffee in any quantity’. Did anyone notice that you’re not actually eating anything? To eat breakfast or not is a rather controversial question these days but there are new studies that show breakfast in a different light. Dr. Mercola, New York Times best-selling author, says “omitting breakfast, as part of an intermittent fasting schedule, can actually have a number of phenomenal health benefits, from improving insulin sensitivity to shifting your body into burning more fat instead of sugar for fuel.” Read the introduction and parts 1-2.