To see where it all started you can download a free PDF from the creator of the HCG Diet. Get Dr. Simeons' Manuscript by clicking below.
Dr, Simeons' Manuscript PDF Download
Below you will find a short summary of the HCG Diet program from start to finish. It will provide you with a basic understanding of what the HCG Diet entails.
Phase 1 of the HCG Diet / HCG P1
The HCG Protocol Preparation Phase is a HCG phase that was added to the HCG Diet plan by Kevin Trudeau. It was not part of Dr. Simeons’ original HCG Diet. You can see Kevin Trudeau’s HCG book for more information on HCG Phase 1 if you would like to learn more. However, through working with our customers, we have found this HCG phase to be unnecessary and therefore completely optional.
Phase 2 of the HCG Diet / HCG P2
The HCG Diet Gorge Days:
Days 1 and 2 of the HCG Diet are called the HCG Gorge Days. These days consist of taking your HCG and eating as much high-fat food as possible (without making yourself sick). Dr. Simeons referred to this as the “gain before loss,” explaining that you have to stock up your fat reserves before beginning the Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) part of HCG Phase 2. Read the Sample HCG Gorge Day Menu below to get ideas for gorging on the HCG diet.
- HCG Gorge Day Breakfast: Three Cream-filled Donuts with Whole Milk, Sausage, Bacon, and Full-Fat Greek Yogurt
- HCG Gorge Day Snack 1: A Butterfinger Bar (or your favorite candy bar)
- HCG Gorge Day Snack 2: Tortilla Chips and Guacamole
- HCG Gorge Day Lunch: Pepperoni Pizza and Caesar Salad with lots of Cheese & Extra Dressing
- HCG Gorge Day Snack 3: Mixed Nuts
- HCG Gorge Day Snack 4: A Big Mac or a Whopper (or your favorite hamburger) with French Fries and a Milkshake
- HCG Gorge Day Dinner: Fettuccini Alfredo (for the fatty sauce), Garlic Bread, and some rich New York Style Cheesecake
- HCG Gorge Day Snack 5: Fried Mozzarella Sticks (or anything fried)
- HCG Gorge Day Snack 6: Oreos dipped in Whole Milk
Your HCG Gorge Days are also a good opportunity to eat anything that you think you might crave in the next month during the VLCD.
The HCG Diet Phase 2 (VLCD)
Phase 2 is also known as the VLCD Phase, the Very Low Calorie Diet Phase, and the 500 Calorie Diet Phase. This phase of the HCG diet lasts from Day 3 to a minimum of Day 23 up to a maximum of Day 40. It’s up to you and how much time you have or weight to lose, to decide how long you want to stay on the VLCD. During this time you will follow the very specific food list created by Dr. Simeons.
It is important that you follow this and only this food list if you want the absolute best results on the HCG Diet.
HCG Diet Phase 2 (VLCD) Food List
During the HCG VLCD Phase you are allowed HCG safe black or green tea or coffee in any quantity. This must be drank without the use of sugar or creamer. Only one tablespoonful of milk allowed in 24 hours. Saccharin (brand name Sweet ‘n’ Low) or approved brands of HCG stevia may be used.
HCG Diet Lunch
Choose one item from each of the four categories below:
- HCG Meat Options: 100 grams of veal, beef, chicken breast, fresh white fish, lobster, crab, or shrimp. All visible fat must be carefully removed before cooking, and the meat must be weighed raw. It must be boiled or grilled without additional fat. Salmon, eel, tuna*, herring, dried or pickled fish are not allowed. The chicken breast must be off the bone. *We have found through working with thousands of HCG clients that canned tuna packed in water is okay for phase 2 of the HCG diet. We believe that Dr. Simeons said tuna was not allowed on the HCG diet because in the 50’s tuna was only packed in oil.
- HCG Vegetable Options: One type of HCG vegetable only to be chosen from the following: spinach, chard, chicory, beet-greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions, red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, and cabbage.
- HCG ‘Carb’ Options: One HCG grissini breadstick (breadstick grissino), one Melba toast, or 2 Melba “snacks” (original, garlic, whole grain, or sea salt
- HCG Fruit Options: An apple or a handful of strawberries or one-half grapefruit or 1 orange.
HCG Diet Dinner
The same four HCG choices as the HCG lunch menu listed above.
Other Phase 2 (VLCD) Dietary Notes:
- The juice of one lemon daily is allowed (as a salad dressing, in tea, or in an HCG safe lemonade drink) while on HCG P2 / HCG VLCD.
- For HCG spices and flavorings, NATURAL salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard powder, garlic, sweet basil, parsley, thyme, marjoram, etc., may be used for seasoning, but no oil, butter or dressing.
- The HCG fruit or the HCG grissini breadstick (breadstick grissino) may be eaten between HCG meals instead of with lunch or dinner, but they must come out of your meal serving.
- If you choose to use HCG grissini / grissino breadsticks as your “carb” option, be careful of the kind you buy. They should be about the height and width of a pencil.
- Do NOT mix vegetables. Only one kind of vegetable is allowed per meal.
- You HCG vegetable and HCG protein must be eaten together at meal times.
- The only drinks allowed on the HCG Protocol are tea, coffee, plain, mineral, or sparkling (not tonic) water. They may be drunk in any quantity and at all times on the HCG Diet. In fact, you should aim to drink 2 liters of water per HCG VLCD day, in addition to any other liquid. This will help flush the fat from your system.
Additional Phase 2 (VLCD) Guidelines:
- For women, the best time to start a round of the HGC Diet is just after your cycle has ended.
- Be careful of everything that touches your skin while on the VLCD as fats can be absorbed into your skin and interfere with HCG weight loss. Think lotion, lip balm, hand soap, etc. There are very few brands that offer completely oil-free options. We suggest Tiffalina’s brand of HCG Diet-safe personal care products.
- Exercise is not required on the HCG Diet. In fact, it is discouraged unless you have been on an exercise routine for 6 weeks or longer before starting the HCG Diet. Just make sure to avoid any heavy weight lifting or strenuous activity. If you have not been exercising but would like to start, you can take short daily walks (20 minutes or less).
- Tanning is discouraged during the VLCD as it can cause water retention and affect weight loss.
- Massage and other spa treatments are also discouraged during the VLCD because they can interfere with weight loss.
- In the first few days of the HCG Diet, you may experience slight headaches. This is normal and is caused from your body detoxing from all the caffeine, sugar, preservatives, etc. Aspirin or Ibuprofen are allowed as long as they are not gel caps or sugar-coated.
The HCG Diet Exit Days
Somewhere between 23 and 40 days on the HCG Diet Drops (whenever you decide to stop), you do the HCG Exit Days. During the HCG Exit Days, you stop taking your HCG, but continue the VLCD for these last three days of the HCG Diet to let the HCG exit your system. If you do NOT do these last three days as described, YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT.
Phase 3 of the HCG Diet / HCG P3
Now, you can start the HCG Maintenance Phase (also known as HCG Phase 3 or P3) which consists of two 3-week periods. The first three weeks, you can eat anything you like except absolutely nothing can contain sugars or starches (carbs). Then in the second 3-week period, you can slowly start to add healthy sugars and starches back into your diet.
During all of HCG Maintenance and even after, you need to continue to weigh yourself every day. Any day you are 2.1 lbs or more over your last HCG date weight (the weight you were on the last day you took your HCG) you do an HCG Steak Day. An HCG Steak Day is a day when you eat nothing for breakfast or lunch, but drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Then, in the evening have 1 large steak (8-18 oz) followed by an apple OR a raw tomato. The next morning when you weigh in, you should be back within 2 lbs of your last HCG date weight. Steak days will help you keep your new, lower weight locked in until you decide you want your weight to change.
Phase 4 of the HCG Diet / HCG P4
Life after the HCG diet... This is when you move on with your new, healthy post-HCG Diet lifestyle in your smaller clothes. Now, you should be craving healthier foods and a diet full of healthy fats, lean proteins, and fresh veggies. To control weight for the rest of your life, just weigh yourself daily. If you are up more than 2.1 lbs over your last HCG date weight, you guessed it: do an HCG steak day.
Click to see HCG Diet Questions and Answers